How Long To Study for PE Exam?
How long to study for PE Exam? This is a question that often plagues engineering students. The answer, unfortunately, is not as straightforward as many people would hope. However, there are some general guidelines that can help you plan your study schedule and make the most of your time.
The time you need to invest in your exam preparation entirely depends on your understanding of the subject, interest, and dedication. The rule of thumb is to invest 2-3 hours in your exam preparation daily. The approximate time frame for in-depth preparation and promising success comprises 200-300 hours. On average, students can easily pass the PE exam after studying for 3-4 months.
But that may not be the case for everyone.
For instance, we come across different scenarios where someone passes their PE exam with only 100 hours of studying, and someone still fails after 5 months of preparation.
This blog will discuss how you can increase your PE exam preparation efficiency and get the most out of your efforts and time by adapting some proven tricks and techniques. Let’s discuss how long to study for the PE exam and get more results in less time.
Tips to Improve Focus on PE Exam Studying
How you approach your exam preparation, including where and when you will study, dramatically impacts how long it takes to prepare for the PE exam. With strategic adjustments to key elements of your studying routine, you can achieve the faster results in preparation that you desire. For instance, if you choose the right study resources, you can stay relevant to the course outline and cover the entire syllabus quickly.
Ready to ace your PE exam? Here are some powerful tricks and tips for honing in on the material and ensuring you’re prepared! Bring all of those late-night study sessions together with a laser-sharp focus, so you can be confident when it comes time for taking the test.
- Eliminate all potential distractions
- Get enough hours of sleep
- Consume brain-enhancing meals
- Take breaks during your study session
1. Eliminate all Potential Distractions
Millennials and Gen-Zs have inherited more distractions from this tech-driven world than early generations. If we have single-click access to information worldwide, the same applies to entertainment, especially entertainment disguised as infotainment.
Make a list of all known and potential distractions that disturb your focus from your exam preparation. It includes social media, games, unhealthy sleeping habits, binge-watching of TV series, etc.
Start avoiding them a month before your exam preparation time to cope with the withdrawal symptoms and get back on track. Try substituting such distractions with something more purposeful, like book reading and exercises.
Apart from digital distractions, you might be experiencing some other distractions like noise pollution, a toxic family environment, too much socialization, etc. Apart from disturbing your focus, these distractions significantly worsen your mental health. Try to address these factors at your earliest. You can change your location and environment to address these unwanted distractions that consume your precious time and energy.
2. Get Enough Hours of Sleep
Sleep is equally necessary for our body and mind as food and water. Time is a leaky bucket. If you have bad sleeping habits, you cannot manage and utilize your time effectively. Your body needs 6-8 hours of sleep in a comfortable and noise-free environment. If you find it difficult to focus and feel exhausted even after 8-9 hours of sleep, there is something wrong with your sleeping patterns.
Using a laptop or cell phone before bed can cause insomnia. To avoid insomnia that distorts your sleeping pattern and damages your mental health, you can
- Avoid screen time before sleeping
- Try to have dinner 2-3 hours before going to bed
- Refrain from consuming caffeine at least 5-6 hours before your sleep time
- Get 8 hours of sleep in a comfortable room with a temperature between 18-20 degrees
- Consult a psychologist if you think you are suffering from clinical or acute insomnia
3. Consume Meals that Enhance Your Brain’s Activity
Indeed, there is no magic pill to abnormally boost your cognitive activity. Similarly, no food sharpens your mind more than what’s practical. Experts stress the importance of following a healthy diet that increases your neurons for better memory and cognition function. At the same time, it is also necessary to stop the consumption of junk food, alcohol, and nicotine which accelerate the aging process of your brain.
Some people cut their carbs intake due to their fitness journey. This is discouraged, as your brain needs carbs to function properly. Therefore, it is recommended to opt for a balanced diet. Some healthy food sources you can try include protein from plants and fish and replacing saturated fats with healthy fats from extra virgin olive oil or canola.
Harvard Medical School published a list of foods linked to better brainpower. It includes:
- Green, leafy vegetables
- Fatty fish
- Tea and Coffee
4. Take Breaks During Your Study Session
If you start your PE exam preparation journey, you can save yourself from getting panicked and exhausted. With an exhausted mind, you find it challenging to stay focused and grasp the exam course effectively. Do not hassle with completing the entire topic in a day.
Formulate a study routine that includes refreshments and breaks after 1-2 hours of continuous study. A break of 30 minutes is enough to reboot your mind and prepare your body for the next session.
Utilize your study break by walking and doing some exercise or yoga. There is no point in utilizing your study break for internet surfing and social media. It eventually puts more stress on your vision, and you will join your next study session with a preoccupied mind.
Preparation Tips To Study for the PE Exam
Below are proven techniques that ensure maximum output of all your PE exam preparation efforts.
- Relying on Authentic Study Material – The most vital factor is to use authentic study material and PE exam preparation books that involve a smart roadmap to course completion and include all the topics specified by NCEES®. It is also recommended to download the NCEES® PE Exam. It impacts the factor that defines how long to study for the PE exam.
- Get Enrolled in PE Exam Preparation Course – It is challenging to study and keep track of your progress on your own. Get enrolled in a dedicated PE exam course like our very own PE Power Exam Preparation. The course allows you to track your progress and offers 100+ lectures and computer-based practice exams at the end of each section.
- Download Your PE Exam Preparation Handbook – Downloading the handbook will further help you understand the course roadmap, charts, formulas, equations, etc. You can learn how to register for the PE exam in our separate blog.
- Start Early Preparation – Keep a margin of 1-2 months for your revision and practice by starting your PE exam preparation earlier. Do not consider completing the entire PE course and cracking the exam without revision.
- Check the PE Exam Passing Rates – It helps you determine the efforts you need to acquire success in different PE exams. We have a detailed blog on the PE exam pass rates. Perhaps you might find it helpful.
- Solve Sample Test Papers – Practice determines your performance in the PE exam. Get enrolled in the PE exam preparation courses offered by Study for FE, including sample test papers and mini-exams at the end of each topic and section.
- Weigh your Weaknesses & Strengths – List down all your weaknesses and strengths and try to address them for a more productive and efficient approach towards your exam preparation. By doing so, you can redirect all your efforts toward the most important career goal.
- Don’t Undermine Simple Mathematics – Mathematics is the backbone of any engineering domain. If your mathematics and calculation skills are below the benchmark, improve them. Your grasp of simple and complex mathematical topics helps your entire PE exam preparation journey.
- Relax before Exam Day – Do not get panic before the exam. If you have thoroughly covered the entire syllabus, take time to relax. It is necessary to reboot your mind and relax your body before an exam. Try your favorite food and go outside; you have already done what you could.
- Get a Good Night’s Rest – As discussed earlier, 8 hours of sleep is mandatory for your body and mind. Go to bed early on exam night, wake up early, meditate, declutter your thoughts, exercise, and reach your exam venue on time.
Which PE Exam Textbooks Do You Need?
You need to opt for the PE exam preparation books covering the entire course and specifications as per the NCEES® criteria. Consider Study Guide for PE Power, a complete PE exam course book centered around problem-based learning. The book is popular among PE Power exam candidates and has been reviewed as one of the best study sources for the PE Power exam.
The book covers over 500 problem-based practice questions with comprehensive solutions per the NCEES® exam specifications. Each chapter of the Study Guide for PE Power includes formulas, equations, code references, and explanations to ease the student’s journey further.
Like other living beings, human beings have no exceptions, like not committing any errors. Our team of experts has extensively audited our published books and made necessary amendments to correct the errors in our study guides. If you already bought an older version, don’t worry. Visit our Errata Link to find our study guide’s confirmed errata and correct answer choices.
“How long to study for PE Exam” depends on how much you know and how well you can learn new material. You’ll need to find a balance between learning enough to pass and not becoming overwhelmed. Start by reviewing the content outline and develop a study plan that fits your needs. And don’t forget to allow plenty of time for practice exams!
Study guides offered by Study for FE can help you stay relevant and confident throughout your PE exam preparation. Another essential factor that must not be excluded is distractions free and a peaceful study environment. With a focused and healthy mind, you can achieve your goal faster by improving your productivity.