Benefits of Becoming a Licensed Professional Engineer
Professional Engineer licenses are granted to those who have completed a four-year engineering degree program, have at least four years of work experience under a licensed, qualified professional engineer, and have demonstrated their knowledge of physical and engineering precepts through a good grade.
To keep your license, you should constantly maintain and improve your overall abilities after your government’s licensing body grants it to you. Since numerous engineering positions do not need a P.E. license, fresh engineering students frequently ask if somehow the effort required to get to be a P.E. is worthwhile.
The PE license helps people elevate their careers by passing this practice exam. Not only that, there are numerous other benefits of becoming a licensed professional engineer, which we shall explore ahead.
If you’re preparing for the FE Electrical exam and, otherwise, PE Power Exam, you’re up against many challenges. Hurdles like managing your time, retaining information, and so on are examples of this. Nevertheless, we at Study for FE can help you out with this and much more.
Why Is It Essential To Become A Licensed Engineer?
The possession of a P.E. license recognizes you as a professional. Employers, as well as their clientele, authorities, and the public at large, all accept this level as a guarantee of commitment, expertise, and excellence.
The motivations for obtaining and keeping one’s P.E. license can be both business and private. Licensed engineers might, for example, produce engineering designs or plans requiring government body authorization, certify, perform, officially send them, or seal engineering services for governmental and non – governmental clientele.
A license is almost a must for consultant engineers, including independent professionals. In reality, it is a constitutional responsibility of anybody in the authority of the project of others, whether they are managers or workers.
What Perks Do You Get by Becoming a Licensed Engineer?
Governmental agencies, academic institutions, and commercial businesses have increasingly insisted that only qualified professional engineers be hired and contracted. Most certainly, this tendency will continue indefinitely.
These days, a profitable, long-term job for a practicing engineer almost always needs P.E. licensing, regardless of their life choices. The PE license shows the world how you have accomplished the critical components of your trade, similar to how a CPA or law license characterizes an accountant or an attorney. It displays your dedication to the top level of engineering practice.
- Status: The prestige you gain as a P.E. holder can help you succeed today and in the coming years. P.E.s receive a higher level of regard from the general population due to their status as licensed professionals. Everyone with a P.E. is highly esteemed throughout the engineering industry, which is the ideal place to learn about P.E. status.
- Professional Progress: Having a P.E. license might help you stand out from the competition when hiring. Suppose a firm has to select among two incredibly qualified candidates, but one possesses a P.E. license and the other do not. In that case, the prospective employer is much more inclined to select the licensed individual. Licensing not just to elevates your status but also reveals your professional capabilities. Moreover, licensure elevates your position, accentuates your abilities, and displays a more outstanding dedication to the field.
- Raise in the Salary: Asper ZipRecruiter in March 2023, the average pay for such a P.E. seems to be $101,326, whereas the non-licensed engineer gets $90,956.
- Overall power and Authority: Obtaining a P.E. seems necessary for advancement and involvement in decision-making for several engineers. A licensed engineer has the authority to sign, stamp, and file designs and specifications, supervise private industry participation, or act as an independent expert together in the court of law with complete authority. Furthermore, should you ever want to work in this industry for yourself, you’ll have to become a P.E. first.
- Safety and Job Security: Both adaptabilities and safety are essential considerations. When a sector experiences a reduction in offshoring, having a P.E. license might give more job stability. It can also expand your career options outside the traditional corporate environment by enabling you to start your own business. A P.E. license is required to become an engineering consultant or private practitioner.
- Work anywhere in the United States: Because the P.E. and Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exams and the minimum registration requirements are standardized nationally, professional engineers can work in any state they choose. Although a professional engineer must register with the state’s board of engineering and may need to complete additional requirements, P.E. licenses generally can be used throughout the country.
As an engineer advances in their profession, they may even have to determine if the effort, cost, and commitment required to acquire a Professional Engineer license is worthwhile. Here at Study For FE, we believe you’ll be recognized and much more successful if you decide to pursue your P.E. license.
You’ll have an easier time moving up the corporate ladder if you’re dedicated, competent, and knowledgeable. Being a P.E. license holder shows that you’re committed to learning and developing your abilities in the chosen profession.
Is It Worth Being a PE?
Your profession would grow relatively swiftly, so you can choose the initiatives you work on. Glancing at job postings around the state, it’s clear that most of the most complicated professions require applicants with a P.E. license.
Experienced electrical engineers taking control of projects and thinking about ways to supply cities with more fuel-saving lighting are becoming increasingly common as the difficulties of sustainable development, rapid urbanization, and population expansion rise. On the other hand, Sr. Mechanical Engineers employ the newest innovations to design structures that satisfy ever-increasing standards for healthcare, security, and the surroundings.
P.E. result in healthier, wholesome, safe, and secure lives by incorporating specialist knowledge with high ethical and professional standards. Many PE-certified engineers choose to instruct and educate the following group of engineers.
Even if you’re working in the sector, if you ever want to start a career in engineering teaching, you must be a licensed engineer in many jurisdictions. The fact that you’ll be a better teacher at the workplace means that your job stability and possibilities will become much more significant.
Related: Electrical Engineer code of ethics
Frequently Asked Questions:
1 - What percent of engineers have a PE?
As of 2022, approx. 4.73 million engineers were present in the USA ( a growth of an average of 3.65% from 2019), of which 931,640 were licensed PE. This means approx. 19.7% of engineers have a PE license.
2 - What percent of engineers pass the PE exam?
The pass rates for the PE exam change every year, especially concerning different fields of specialization. You can check out our blog on the PE exam pass rates to keep yourself updated on the pass rates for the PE exam as of Feb 2023.
At Study for FE, we believe that the PE exam and license signify to an employer that you have the qualifications necessary to earn their respect. This shows a potential employer that you can handle more responsibilities.
Among other benefits of becoming a licensed professional engineer, it also earns you credibility from your coworkers. To yourself, it is indeed an emblem of encouragement and a reflection of your perseverance and determination.
Engineers typically finish a four-year university degree, train underneath a Professional Engineer for at least four years, complete two extensive competence examinations, and get a license from the country’s licensing board before being licensed. P.Es then must continuously upgrade their abilities during their employment to keep their license. Nonetheless, the end product is definitely worth it.
If you want to have detailed preparation for the exam, get in touch with us and ace your exams in the best possible way! It provides the most compelling presentations of complex ideas. You can expect a response personally from Wasim in 24-48 hours.
Best of luck!