One must know what a PE exam is to become a professional engineer. The process of gathering information about a PE exam, also known as the Principles and Practice of Engineering exam, is necessary to be a professional engineer. It is an examination conducted by an organization consisting of engineering and surveying licensing boards from all over the USA called NCEES, which stands for National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying. It is made for those who have a minimum of four years of post-college work which they experienced in their chosen engineering area. Individuals then prepare for the PE exam after the FE exam. Passing upon that, they have declared a licensed engineer and registered. After knowing what a PE exam is, one should be focused on how to get a PE license so that he can be declared as a licensed engineer.
How to Get a PE (Professional Engineer) License
Get a Relevant Engineering Degree
Following are the relevant Engineering Degrees that one needs with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher throughout during the degree where at least D- amongst A+, A, A-,B+, B, B-,C+, C, C-,D+, D, D-,F is needed for the course to be considered as a passed one with no unclear F grade to get the degree
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Other Disciplines
Prepare for the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Exam and Pass it.
To get a professional engineering license, one should pass the FE exam after one acquires an undergraduate engineering degree or is close to graduation. NCEES conducts a Fe exam. It is a computer-based test consisting of 110 AITs (Alternative Item Types) from seven disciplines mentioned above and is six hours long with scheduled breaks.
The NCEES FE Reference Handbook is the only material given during the Fe examination; the online FE practice exams, which are the past papers, are available to prepare for the examination. So, one should get hold of the reference handbook and the Fe Review Manual. Using them should determine which areas one is lacking in. After acknowledging that, start with a schedule and stick religiously to it. Last but not least, do not skip anything, be thorough and practice every question and theory and try being as quick as you can.
Since the examination time is limited, you should try getting ahead of it. You can take one more step to excel in preparation by enrolling yourself in Fe exam prep courses.
Get EIT (Engineering In Training) Certification
The EIT certification is simply an indication by the state government in the form of a certificate that one has completed and passed his Fe (Fundamentals of Engineering Examination) and is halfway done and is ready to move forward to get the Pe License to become a Professional Engineer.
After passing your Fe (Fundamentals of Engineering Exam), the individual is required to submit the proof or the paperwork that they’ve passed the Fe exam to the state board and an application to get the EIT certificate which the state government will send in the mail after the submission of the fee.
The certification shows your dedication and the fact that you have a good command of the fundamentals of engineering. You can start working under certified Professional Engineers, which can gather your experience and opportunities in the future.
Find an Intern Job
Following are the steps that will aid you in finding the very first job:
- Your portfolio and resume should be updated as soon as you finish a course or learn some new skill. The volunteer work is proof of the technical and non-technical skills shown by any project you have worked on; you should always mention that to get the company’s attention.
- Your alumni’s referrals are essential. While attending the seminars and workshops, one should interact and expand the circle putting forward his objective.
- Use websites and social media sites like LinkedIn and Twitter to connect with companies, get to know their goals, read about them, match your interest and objectives and proactively connect to them.
- Keep looking, enhancing your job, and pushing yourself to avail yourself of as many chances and opportunities as possible to land yourself in the industry and move forward in it.
Obtain Professional Experience
The best type of experience is said to be where an individual is doing a job under a certified Professional Engineer’s supervision. The firm, which is supervised by professional engineers who can significantly enhance internees’ skills, is included in a quality experience.
Some jobs that the internees do that are said to be a quality experience include sub-professional tasks like drafting, technician work, etc., non-professional tasks like sales, construction, cover time consisting of more than 40 hours per week.
Get to know about the Licensing requirement
All states of the US have somewhat different eligibility criteria for the Pe exam. However, there are some rules and specific criteria that have to be met by all individuals nationally, which are as follows:
- One should be aware and meet the education criteria for his state and should have completed the four-year bachelor’s degree in engineering or an acceptable equivalent.
- Passing the Fundamentals Exam (Fe) after four years of college in the chosen engineering field.
- Minimum experience requirement is to be met by the individuals, which is usually four years under the supervision of a licensed Professional Engineer.
- After meeting the above, one should check past the background criteria as well
- The individuals then submit the Experience Record (ER), which has to be signed by his references.
- Then, the individual is required to fill out the Pe exam form and submit the application paperwork to his particular state board.
- In the end, one should pass the state-specific ethics exam, which is also known as a rule exam.
Prepare for the PE exam and get the PE License
Pe License is the highest designation of an Engineer. After this, the individual is said to be a certified Professional Engineer, stating that the person is dedicated to the engineering job and is competent enough to be trusted with exceptional and mastered engineering skills. Once a person is licensed to put the designation of ‘PE’ beside his name, he is declared a professional engineer.
To get the License, one should go through steps that differ from state to state, but some basic steps that remain the same are:
- Pass the Fe Exam and get yourself certified as an Engineering Intern by your state.
- Make sure that one has completed four years of qualifying engineering experience under the supervision of a certified professional engineer.
- Each state has its own Licensure Board having its requirements for the Licensing. To get more information about that, one should visit the Board’s website and get familiar with the requirements.
- The last step is to prepare for the Pe exam by getting a current Pe reference manual and enrolling yourself in a live preparation course or by getting sample Pe exams or by preparation manuals from PPI and finally appearing in the exam.
- One must go to the state board’s website after passing the exam and receiving the registration number by the NCEES and put that number in the application form. Provide them with the transcript and other required documents and pay the fees so you can get registered.
Professional Engineers have the most prestigious designation among all the engineers and are highly respected in public and engineering groups. They are certified, licensed, and can work anywhere in the USA. People tend to trust Professional Engineers more with their work since they have more experience and knowledge on their hands and command over the task they do, hence grabbing more work and opportunities their way. With the PE title, one can get job security during the downsizing. Professional Engineers have high salaries as well, ranging from $ 40,500 to $ 117,500 annually.
This article has provided accurate and reliable information regarding how to get a PE license. The procedure, the benefits, the ways to go about it are all gathered in this article. It can be a perfect guide to get you through the process. Stay tuned and connect with us for more informative guides and informational articles.